I spend a lot of time researching life and business best practices. And I have my share of gray hair from real life experience.
But this stuff still baffles me every single day…
- You must set goals OR goal setting doesn't work.
- Just find your passion and your life will flow OR passion is bullshit.
- Diversify your business OR stay focused on your niche.
- Process and measurement are king OR people first.
- And on and on and on…
The first point above is a perfect example of my confusion. Of course you need to set goals. Right?
Well, maybe not.
I read an article the other day that says goal setting can lead to neglect, unethical behavior, cultural corrosion and reduced motivation. And the author had some data to back up his points.
So maybe goals are evil, or maybe they’re good in some situations for some people, but not so good for others.
And that’s why this site exists. To help me sort through these kinds of confusing life/business questions. To move past the cool sounding quotes and surface level crap and figure out what actually works for me.
And yes, I realize up front that it’s an impossible task. People a lot smarter than me have tried to tame this stuff and failed.
So why do it?
Because I can’t stop myself - I’m like a moth to light. And because wrestling with this stuff makes my days slightly better.
- Searching out the different points of view.
- Breaking them down to their simplest form.
- Applying/testing them in my everyday life.
This process helps me in some small way.
Maybe it can help you too...
***NOTE: This site works best when you read the posts in order. So please head to the ARCHIVE to get started.